Stuffed Peppers - Pizza Style
Okay to be honest this recipe just kind of came together on a whim. We had made pizza the night before and wanted to liven up our stuffed peppers so we thought...hmmm lets put in these extra pizza toppings. This recipe is SUPER simple and totally customizable. Another plus is that its almost too pretty to eat:)
3 Bell Peppers cut lengthwise and seeded
1 cup brown rice or quinoa (sub cauliflower rice to make this whole 30!)
1 can crushed tomatoes
1/2 pound ground turkey or chicken
Optional: Pepperoni, mushrooms, green olives, onions, banana peppers, mozz cheese (we went for mushrooms and green olives--yum!)
1. Preheat your oven to 400. Cut your peppers lengthwise and clean out the middle. Pop in the oven for 15 minutes while you cook your stuffing.
2. In a saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add in your brown rice or quinoa and cook until all the water is absorbed (about 20-30 minutes).
3. While your rice cooks, brown your ground turkey or chicken until fully cooked. Add in your tomatoes and simmer until the liquid begins to thicken.
4. Stir in your pizza toppings + brown rice or quinoa.
5. Stuff your peppers and sprinkle the top with cheese.
6. Bake in the oven for another 10 minutes until the cheese is melted and bubbly.